Thursday, July 15, 2010

transit ak

"The best moment of the day was to slip into bed with bedlamp over book, and read facing the open patio windows, the stars and the sea. I could also hear it sighing out there." -Kerouac, Desolation Angels.

The newest chapter of my life is in the great north. Alaska is an interesting place--fishermen, hitchhikers, and vagabonds; everyone has a story to tell. I've got a couple mountain summits under my belt including one solo. My legs still shaky from my latest, two short days ago. 22 miles total after work, got back home as it turned pitch black. I sit on my porch and look out to sea and watch the harbor seals playing while they wait for a meal to swim by. The eagles stare down from high up in the hemlock growing tall near the cove.

I've witnessed majestic humpback whales breaching a mere 20 yards off shore. Pods of beautiful orcas passing through the George Inlet, right in my backyard. During a trip back from town on a small skiff owned by a coworker, the motor blew, dead in the water. We managed to paddle back to shore in the fast current and the darkness. We couldn't leave the boat on the rocky beach overnight because of the tide coming and going. Luckily one of us had a single bar of cell reception, enough to call the coast guard. After about and hour or so of shivering on the wet rocks of the beach, they arrived and towed us to the nearest safe haven. And luckily we hitched a ride in about 10 minutes of walking at 1am.

By day, I am a zip line guide, responsible for my self and 9 clients at a time. 2,000 carabeener clips a day, 130 feet off the ground. One miss... well you know the outcome. The pressure keeps me going, oh and the fun part... zipping between trees in the rain forest.


Just down the road is a tiny bar/marina called the hole in the wall. It is the place to be on any given night in Ketchikan. There is one pool table, a piano, and a wood burning stove that always has the place warm and cozy. There are only three bartenders that work there and you have the choice of pbr or rainier for 3.50$ or alaskan for 4.50$. The walls are littered with aging photographs of old friends, huge catches, and good times. They have about 150 dollars in dollar bills with names and things written all over them. From people passing through, "On my way to Nome" one reads, to lovers, and friends. Transit is sitting in between the end of the bar and the wood burning stove, a small but common gathering place. Things are good up in Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment